Technique: How to Make Sprouting Jars
1. From the Hardware Store: Purchase 2-Quart Ball Mason Jars (sold in packs of 6) and 1 ft of Screen for a Screen Door. The Holiday Gift Jar blog explains a simple way to order the Ball jars online. The jars will run you about $10 for 6. The Screen will run you about $.50 for the foot.
2. Place the screen on a hard surface with a piece of scrap paper in between to protect the surface. Place the inside circle of the Ball Mason Jar lid on the screen. Using a permanent marker, trace the lid.
3. Using a strong pair of scissors, cut just inside the stenciled line, making the wire circle slightly smaller than the rimmed lid.
4. Place the wire screen inside the rim of the Mason Jar lid. Store the solid lid in a safe place to use when you would like to use the Mason Jar for another purpose.
5. Return the new screen lid to the glass jar. And voila! You have officially made your own Homemade Sprouting Jar!
Sprouting jars can be purchased online for about $15, but you can make your own for around $2!